Facials can be a great way to combine professional skin care treatments with a bit of relaxation and pampering. Your skin works hard every minute of every day to protect your body from pathogens, dangerous radiation, pollution and harsh weather. Over time, this constant damage wears down your skin’s ability to fight off these attacks. Further, the natural aging of the skin also contributes to the cells’ inability to effectively bounce back from the daily damage.
What do Facials Treat?
Facials are a broad term used to describe a number of procedures, including chemical peels, nourishing face masks, exfoliants, acne extractions and much more. It is an opportunity to give your skin an added boost that helps repair previous damage, and fortifies the skin so that it can stay healthy longer.
However, not all facials are created equal, and the effectiveness of the treatment directly depends on the expertise of your aesthetician. The most effective sessions will be those that are tailored to your unique needs and address specific concerns in a professional manner.
When you visit California Skin Institute for a professional facial, your licensed aesthetician will take the time to understand your concerns and ask questions to better understand your skin type. Perhaps you would like a facial that will ease your acne or brighten acne scars. Or, maybe your biggest concern is the onset of wrinkles. Perhaps you’re looking to reverse previous sun damage. We will take the time to understand all of your concerns, your goals, and will custom-tailor the facial to your needs.
What Procedures are Common During a Facial?
Your facial at California Skin Institute can involve a number of different procedures that you and your aesthetician will discuss and decide together. Here are some of the more common treatments we can offer during your appointment:
- Exfoliation: California Skin Institute aestheticians have experience with performing a variety of different exfoliation procedures, including chemical peels and microdermabrasion. For example, if you would like to address acne and dull skin, your aesthetician may suggest a glycolic peel. If your concern is with hyperpigmentation, acne scars, or wrinkles, then a DermaSweep microdermabrasion procedure may be just what your skin needs.
- Face Masks: To infuse your skin with nutrients and reparative peptides, we offer many different types of face masks that can be applied during your facial appointment. Whether your skin needs hydration, an antioxidant boost, or gentle enzyme exfoliation, we can find a face mask that fits your unique needs.
- Microneedling: California Skin Institute patients can benefit significantly from professional microneedling with the SkinPen. This device uses tiny needles to stimulate your skin’s natural reparative processes, which helps remove hyperpigmentation and stimulates collagen. Many of our patients who have acne scars choose the SkinPen procedure during their facial, because this device can produce dramatic improvement with virtually no downtime.
- Acne Extractions: Whether you’re looking to treat active acne or to prevent future breakouts, a professionally-performed acne extraction can be included in your facial appointment. Our providers will carefully remove comedones from your skin and will cleanse the pores to reduce the presence of bacteria. This will help any current acne heal faster, and can significantly reduce future breakouts.
- Strong Peels: For those who have the ability to take time off for recovery, we offer strong chemical peels that provide dramatic improvement faster by removing more of the damaged skin cells and stimulating production of new skin. One such procedure is the TCA peel, which may significantly fade hyperpigmentation and scars after just one treatment.
Treatment results will vary, talk to a practitioner to see if this treatment or procedure is right for you.