Tej Mudigonda, MD
Dr. Tej Mudigonda is a board-certified dermatologist specializing in medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology. A native of Hoboken, NJ, Dr. Mudigonda is a graduate of Deerfield Academy, the University of Notre Dame, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, and Washington University of St. Louis, where he completed his dermatology residency training. He is currently pursuing fellowship training in Mohs Micrographic Surgery, dermatologic oncology, and advanced cosmetic surgery at California Skin Institute with Dr. Greg Morganroth.
Dr. Mudigonda has a special interest in the surgical management of skin cancer and reconstructive plastic surgery of complex defects under local anesthesia utilizing flaps and grafts. He is equally passionate about cosmetic dermatology — these procedures range from chemical peels, injectables (Botox, fillers, Kybella, PRP), lasers, leg vein treatments, to more advanced aesthetic surgery procedures including face/neck lifts, blepharoplasty, facial implants, and body contouring (liposuction, fat grafting). His clinical dermatology interests include acne, psoriasis, alopecia, contact dermatitis, and autoimmune bullous and connective tissue disorders.
Whether it involves medical or procedural dermatology, Dr. Mudigonda values the importance of each patient encounter. He says, “Patients present unique concerns and treatment goals that are often accompanied with a set of financial limitations.” Effective communication, education, and an unbiased presentation of all available evidence-based medical options are important to help patients make the best informed decision for their care.
An avid researcher, Dr. Mudigonda’s initial interests in medicine stemmed from his undergraduate studies at Notre Dame, where he worked in a research lab performing in vivo cardiovascular surgery on trout fish to better understand the mechanism of hypoxia. As a medical student at Vanderbilt, he directed the student-run dermatology clinic for the underserved in Nashville, TN, and pursued two year-long research fellowships that focused on immunotherapies for metastatic melanoma — the first at the National Institutes of Health’s Surgery Branch and the second at Vanderbilt’s Hematology/Oncology Department. He has published in major peer-reviewed dermatology and oncology journals (Journal of Investigative Dermatology, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery Journal, JAMA Oncology, Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, and Pigment Cell Melanoma Research) and has presented at national dermatology and oncology conferences, including the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, American College of Mohs Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery Forum, and the American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery.
A newly minted resident of the Bay Area, Dr. Mudigonda loves hiking, live music, the beach, Fighting Irish football, and spending time with his family and friends.
- Undergraduate: University of Notre Dame (2010), summa cum laude
- Medical School: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (2016)
- Residency: Washington University in St. Louis (2020)
- Fellowship: California Skin Institute – Mohs micrographic surgery and advanced cosmetic surgery (2020 – present)
- National Institutes of Health Postbaccalaureate Research Program (2010-2011)
* Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute
- Vanderbilt Medical Scholars Research Program (2015-2016)
* Hematology/Oncology Department, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery
- American Vein and Lymphatic Society
- Medical Dermatology Society
- Rheumatologic Dermatologic Society
- North American Hair Research Society
- Skin Of Color Society
- Autoimmune Skin Diseases
- Chemical Peels
- Cosmetic Injectables
- Eyelid Cosmetic Surgery
- Fellowship Trained Mohs Surgeon
- Hair and Nail Disorders
- Laser Surgery
- Leg Vein Disorders
- Local Anesthesia Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Medical Dermatology
- Mohs Surgery
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Scar Revision
- Skin Care and Skin Care Products
- Skin Reconstructive Surgery
- Surgical Dermatology
- Tumescent Liposuction/Body Sculpting