BOTOX® Cosmetic San Jose, Mountain View, San Mateo, Saratoga
Are forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet, and frown lines causing you to look tired, angry and older than you feel? BOTOX® Cosmetic is a quick and easy treatment, helping you to look rested and more youthful. Look as if you have just come home from a much needed vacation! We offer 4 convenient locations to serve you- including Mountain View, San Jose – Los Gatos, Los Altos, Saratoga, San Mateo and San Francisco California!
What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a dilute, purified form of Botulinum toxin which is an extremely effective muscle relaxant. Although BOTOX® Cosmetic is a toxin, there have been no serious side effects.
How does BOTOX® Cosmetic eliminate facial wrinkles?
When BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected into the superficial muscles of the face, it relaxes these muscles and prevents the wrinkle lines caused by squinting, frowning, and raising our eyebrows. BOTOX® Cosmetic is ideal for improving and smoothing the skin between the eyebrows, the lines of the forehead, and the crow’s feet area around the eyes.
Where is BOTOX® Cosmetic used?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is used on the face, only around the eyes and forehead so as not to affect a patient’s smile. It is important to understand that BOTOX® Cosmetic only relaxes the overactive facial muscles that cause wrinkles. Your skin will feel the same after BOTOX® Cosmetic and you will have normal sensation in all treated areas. Muscles that are not treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic and related to other expressions are not affected.
How is BOTOX® Cosmetic used?
A small amount of BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected into the muscle that creates a wrinkle. By injecting the BOTOX® Cosmetic into a muscle, it blocks the nerve impulse from reaching that area and the muscle begins to weaken. As the muscle weakens, the BOTOX® Cosmetic treated areas begin to relax and the wrinkles in the skin soften and often disappear.
Does a BOTOX® Cosmetic injection hurt?
Applying a topical anesthetic cream or ice compresses for several minutes prior to the BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment will effectively numb the area. When the BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected, you may feel a slight stinging sensation that quickly subsides. Once the BOTOX® Cosmetic injection is complete, the nurse applies an ice compress and the discomfort disappears.
Is BOTOX® Cosmetic safe?
BOTOX® Cosmetic has an excellent safety profile. It has been used by neurologists and opthamologists for the past 17 years to correct facial tics and to relax the eye muscles responsible for lazy eye. These types of procedures require many times the amount of BOTOX® Cosmetic that is used to treat facial wrinkles and have not resulted in any toxic effects to patients.
What are the advantages of BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a quick and effective way to remove wrinkles. A typical treatment takes 10 minutes. Results are seen within 4 to 7 days
- Little discomfort
- There is no “down-time”. After the BOTOX® Cosmetic injection, you may resume normal activity or go back to work
- There is no physical evidence that you had a cosmetic procedure done
- There is no decrease in sensation or numbness of BOTOX® Cosmetic treated areas
- The effect of BOTOX® Cosmetic is reversible-lasting between 3 to 9 months depending on the number of previous treatments
- A memory response may develop with repeated BOTOX® Cosmetic injections if they are done every 3 months for approximately one-year. So, although the effects are not permanent, there may be a gradual lengthening of the time interval between treatments. This will mean fewer BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments to obtain the same effect!
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a nonsurgical approach to treat wrinkles
Who is the best candidate for BOTOX® Cosmetic?
A wide range of patients benefit from BOTOX® Cosmetic therapy. Typically, we treat patients from their 20′s to 80′s. Younger patients and patients with fewer wrinkles have the added benefit of preventing further etching of the skin caused by repeated squinting, frowning, and creasing of the forehead. Patients who have had laser resurfacing or a face lift also benefit by preventing repeated wrinkling of newly BOTOX® Cosmetic treated skin. Patients who are pregnant or have a neurological disease should not be treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic.