California Skin Institute has been a center for excellence in body sculpting with tumescent liposuction since 1996 for patients with
localized areas of fat resistant to diet and exercise. Tumescent or local anesthesia liposuction remains the definitive method for fat removal both in safety and efficacy. Despite its great safety record at CSI, tumescent liposuction is still considered a surgical procedure with a day or more of reduction of normal activity.
Many of our patients have been waiting for a non-surgical alternative due to a fear of surgery. As Innovations in non-surgical fat removal have evolved over the past few years, California Skin Institute has been cautious in adopting these technologies until there is FDA-approval and a clinical track record with early
adopter physicians. One of the newest and most promising techniques is Cryolipolysis™ technology via the CoolSculpting® procedure which received FDA-approval for non-invasive reduction fat in September 2010. Cryolipolysis™ cools the targeted fat tissue to break down the fat cells for easy removal without damage to surrounding skin and muscle. The natural repair mechanisms of the body remove the freeze injured cells over a period of months. The results are noticeable and natural looking with a 20% reduction of the fat tissue after a single treatment. Multiple treatments create an additive reduction in the localized fat deposits.
Who is a Candidate for CoolSculpting® ?
- Men and Women of all ages
- Healthy patients with one of more areas of fat that do not respond to diet and exercise
- Most effective in removing fat from the abdomen, love handles (flanks) and back
- Patients with realistic expectations of modest fat reduction (vs. large volume removal of tumescent liposuction)
- Patients willing to consider multiple sessions to obtain optimal results
What Happens During the CoolSculpting® Procedure
- The CoolSculpting® procedure is performed without any sedation and takes two or more hours depending on the extent of the treatment zone. An applicator cup is placed over the targeted area and suction is used to draw the fat into the applicator that contains cooling panels. Over the next hour, the fat deposit is cooled to create a gentle freeze injury to the fat cells. After defrosting, the treated fat cells are removed though our body’s natural metabolic similar to the way fat from food is removed. This allows for a gradual reduction in fat from targeted areas to create a slimmer, more defined appearance.
- The results are usually visible two to four months after treatment (as early as three weeks), and will continue to improve for up to six months. Although these results are not as rapid as those achieved through liposuction, patients undergoing CoolSculpting® CoolSculpting® can avoid the pain, risks and lengthy recovery times associated with these more invasive procedures.
- Most patients who undergo CoolSculpting® are highly satisfied with the results of their procedure and are able to enjoy a natural, slimmer appearance. CoolSculpting® may also be repeated for cumulative effects on fat reduction. The results of CoolSculpting® are expected to last about as long as fat reduction achieved through traditional liposuction procedures.
Is CoolSculpting® safe?
Since CoolSculpting® is a non-invasive, non-surgical procedure, it does not possess the same risks as a surgical procedure. As a completely non-invasive procedure, CoolSculpting® offers patients many benefits over other fat reduction procedures. Some of these benefits include:
- No downtime
- No need for anesthesia
- No incisions
- High safety allowing most patients to undergo procedure
During the procedure, most patients remain completely comfortable and can read, listen to music and simply relax. Most patients are able to return to work and resume other regular activities the very same day. However, all procedures have post-treatment sequelae and risks. With CoolSculpting® , risks are primarily redness, bruising and reduced sensation in the treated area. These side effects are considered normal and usually go away on their own within a few days after treatment.
Learn more about CoolSculpting® in the news: CoolSculpting® Media Highlights